Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Rollyo!

Handy. This is great, and it is the first tool that I can honestly say I have never heard of. When I first created my search roll, I thought I did something wrong because it was so easy. I created a search roll about different library associations that I find interesting and frequent for info-there are many. I tried typing a few different general words into the search and a page popped up with finds from all the different associations I entered. When you sign in, you get a search engine where you can type what you are looking for and you have the option of choosing certain areas. For example, on mine I would click the tab for LibAssoc. Updates to search throughout all the associations I added http://rollyo.com/index.html. I typed in "jobs" and this is what I got http://rollyo.com/search.html?q=jobs&sid=684216.

This tool is useful for every internet user. We all have our favorite sites that we frequent. This is a good way to keep them neatly in one space. There are so many associations out there and keeping them together like this helps me search throughout them for specific topics. This saves a lot of time and a lot of searching.

Librarians and libraries can really make this tool work for them. Libraries can create searchrolls for popular topics and make the patron's searching job very easy. Let's be honest-searching can be tedious. Having multiple websites that contain information on a certain interest, can make the internet a much more manageable tool.

Librarians can keep tabs on associations, publications, books, and everything library. After all, the librarian is meant to stay current with many areas pertaining to the library. This is a tool that allows you to search for subjects in designated areas-there is no better way to narrow your search!

No comments:

Post a Comment