Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Library Thing-Zeitgeist

Ok...so I still love this thing, but it can be a little overwhelming. Check this particular page out http://www.librarything.com/zeitgeist. While I understand that you are supposed to maneuver through the site, if you click on, for instance "reviews" from that page, you get this http://www.librarything.com/z_reviews1.php. It took me a while to read through, but it was just a mix of "hot reviews" that were chosen and displayed. This can do one of two things to the user. It can either make them overwhelmed or intrigued if they are just scoping for some good reads. I have to admit, however, that I was overwhelmed. The organization of the site started to lag a little. Perhaps it's the way the different links are presented? I don't know if what bothered me was how the setup of the page was not better organized, or if there was simply too much information on one page.So I clicked on a review, one about "Cleopatra: A Life" by Stacy Schiff and I got this http://www.librarything.com/work/9989655. Again, wow there is a lot of things going on here! It is a very busy page. While this is great for the experienced Library Thing user, for someone new it might leave them a little bewildered. Maybe it's me. Do I need to just catch up with the technological times? It may have taken me a little too long to start my library on that site. Here is my catalog so far http://www.librarything.com/catalog/tolivera.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is fabulous. It can be used within the library to promote events and creates an opportunity to share with other libraries any effective programs and ideas. Also, book-lovers will and already seem to avidly use this site. Perhaps some website maintenance can be done to help the inexperienced user get through here.

No comments:

Post a Comment