Ok. I won't lie. I had a bit of trouble getting the whole RSS feed down. I am still trying to practice it. I was able to get my bloglines up and running. It took a few trial and error situations, but the tool itself is very handy. As a student, I constantly have multiple windows and tabs on my firefox at any given time of the day. Blogs, websites, you name it. Bloglines is a simple, one page setup where you can follow blogs, news, and virtually any feed you are constantly keeping current with.
I have to wonder if this is actually more handy for the librarian other than the patron. The patron can use it for multiple personal reasons; it can keep them up to date on their local library, librarything, writer's blogs, etc. What I am trying to say is that this can be beneficial to anyone, but as far as library affiliation purposes it may be more useful to librarians. Again, any given person from the general public can keep up with anything and everything through using this.
It would benefit libraries and librarians in particular to use RSS feeds. The librarian's duty is to keep current on several different media tools, technological advances, book reviews, community concerns, I mean they need working world knowledge. They can keep everything they follow on their bloglines. It can help them organize what they need to follow and help them surf through daily information in one place. They can get the latest updates without running website to website.
Patrons can use it to follow upcoming events in the library community and combine all the information they follow in one simple page.Check mine out at http://dashboard.bloglines.com/privatepage/1.
The uses for RSS really make it simple for people to stay up to date in such a fast paced internet world.
No comments:
Post a Comment