Friday, February 11, 2011

Can't make it to DC? Flickr's got ya covered!

Wow. Very cool. See this first http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/. I love libraries and museums. To be able to find such extensive exhibits online is pretty neat. The quality is better than expected. Just beautiful http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157624588645784/. The different ways libraries can use this is limitless and infinite. Libraries can exchange collections, exhibits, you can show a picture that can aid in tutorials-basically this can be a good place for ideas to start. A picture is worth a thousand words after all. As you can see from the links above, the Library of Congress showed how using flickr can share amazing photographs to everyone and anyone across the world. I even found these without signing up or subscribing.

I have always loved scenic view pics. Please see this picture by VietVet'67 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/vietvet67/3529626489/in/gallery-amrock84-72157622536087364/. I love the railroad track going right through the forest...it is truly a beautiful image. It is a bit haunting and lonely being that tracks are just going through what you imagine to be a vast forest. It just cuts right through it to lead somewhere else. It also has that sense of clashing natures. Nature and or versus industrialization. Ok...maybe I am going on a little too long on this.

The ability to be able to share this kind of art and beauty is wonderful. Flickr could be a great, useful tools for libraries. It would also be a fun way to showcase the library. I know I read somewhere and I cannot remember where...or maybe it was a commercial? Anyway, someone used a gnome taking pictures around the world. I think it may have been a travelocity commercial. Well, someone can post a gnome reading different genres in different settings. Horror by candlelight! Romance on a hammock on the beach! Crime thrillers at breakfast! People, I believe, can judge a book by its cover-I still do! Pictures, flickr, can be used to take pics and promote the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment