Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thank you YouTube!

Hilarious! Please watch this first at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uzUh1VT98 . I found this by just typing in libraries in the search.

Are we not trying to attract people into the library? Well, what better way than staying hip and current in all aspects of the media. As you already saw, the students and faculty of the University of Washington's Information School used Lady Gaga's song "Poker Face" as inspiration to promote their library. In the video, they change Gaga's lyrics into lyrics that invite and describe what happens at the library. It is clearly lighthearted and not meant to be taken seriously-it's not meant to make fun of libraries and librarians either. It is meant to invite and encourage patrons to utilize both the library and librarians. After all, isn't the library supposed to be up to date on what is going on in society and culture? Lady Gaga is a popular new artist-what a great way to reach out to the community through popular idols! The video also sends the message that-Hey! Librarians are cool! They are with it! They know what's going on! What a fantastic way to shoot down the pesky stereotypes about librarians being bookworms that spend their time shushing loud kids all day.  
 
 Youtube is truly a remarkable networking tool. It has everything...no really it has everything. It has episode clips, music videos, movie trailers, book trailers, some full episodes, funny spoofs, tutorials on different programs and much more. Did you miss an American Idol audition that you heard was hilarious? Look it up on YouTube!  I mean really if you have something in mind, chances are if you can find it on Google, you can find it on YouTube. People use it as a communication tool. They share videos on all different things. It is available to the public. People can access it everywhere and can comment on all videos. This tool connects society and allows people internationally to share information about anything and everything. Best of all no membership is required (if you want to be a subscriber you can). Anyone and everyone can use it very easily. Type in what you are looking for in the search and you will find a list of links taking you to where you want to go.

Through this program you can do more than just make fun videos. Librarians can use it to show patrons how to use a certain database. They can upload a video on how to properly find reference sources. I found this very detailed video on finding article references on the University of Glasgow library page, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnJuBjz5Rg&feature=related . This tool can be used to reach that group (probably the group we ourselves are in) ...you know the Googlers of the world. In the library,  YouTube would be a great program to use for not only the Googlers, but the shy students and patrons who are using the library as well--they exist. I have been that shy person before, intimidated by the very intelligent people behind the reference desk. I mean sometimes I feel self-conscious about my questions. I think to myself...should I know the answer? And ultimately I will end up not asking the librarian for guidance. What if the faq's of a library website posted such tutorials on YouTube for the shy patron? Or the non-English speaking patron? What about those avid Internet users that are online after hours? This would be a great way for the library to be available to all anytime anywhere-this is after all our mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment